Sunday, October 20, 2013

Subdividing Ourselves

This week, "Subdivisions" by Rush has intrigued me.
Subdivisions - Rush

"Subdivisions" was written and released in 1982. The title and the lyrics indicate several meanings.

The first two lines of the song note how on the broadest scale possible humanity divides itself, and divides those divisions. One can think of countries, states, territories, counties, cities, towns, all the way down to blocks and buildings themselves. I think that makes an interesting statement about human nature right there.

The song describes the so called "cool" and "uncool" crowds mostly common among teenagers. As a high school student myself, I have obviously observed this at work firsthand. However, the situation seems to have changed in 41 years. I see these cultures exist, however yet more subdivisions have occurred. I notice the "cool" crowd having broken down into several cultures, and the "uncool" crowd has as well. No longer is "the dreamer or the misfit so alone" because now there are more dreamers and misfits than ever. Why be afraid if nobody else is afraid?

I think that "Subdivisions" also comments on how adults live their lives also. Rush talks about "selling dreams for small desires", "los[ing] the race to rats", and of a "restless flight". I'll let you ponder these statements also, but I am amazed by the message.

So I am left wondering, is it human nature or not to subdivide? Can we change this trend, or do we even want to?

No comments:

Post a Comment